Thoughts on choosing a slimming group.
Slimming clubs are big business and they are set to boom in these times when obesity has become the No 1 public health concern, but do they work? Well for some people and some of the groups the answer is undoubtedly yes, At least in the short term. I am not completely anti slimming group, but they are not for everyone and many end up disillusioned and disappointed.
Some things to be aware of;
- Some cliques often form within these groups and not all group leaders have the skills to mitigate against this. You may feel that you are an outsider and if your you are overeating as an emotional response this may only exasperate the problem.
- A lot of groups try to attract members by telling you that you can have your cake and eat it. No you can’t.
- If there are too many people in the group who have tried and failed repeatedly to lose weight they can drag down the whole group with their despondency and negativity.
- Can you cope with being patronised like a 3 year who has managed not to pee their pants for a whole day? “Woo hoo! Everybody give Carrie a big cheer, she has lost 1 lb this week!” That would have me cringing with embarrassment.
- Quite often the group leader is fat, maybe they used to be fatter but none the less they are fat. If they can’t achieve a high level of success in their own weight loss……
Don’t get me wrong here, there are some good groups out there, just don’t go rushing to sign up for an eight week program without checking them out first. There are some very big companies with carefully constructed marketing campaigns behind a lot of these groups and they will push you to sign up.
- STOP! Ask to attend a session as a guest so you can see first hand what it is all about.
- At the end of the session they will try to get you to sign up, politely thank them and say you would like to think it over.
- Try a few other groups on the same basis before deciding which one is right for you.
Good luck with your own weight loss program.
No Fad Fitness. Promoting fitness, weight loss and better health in Cambridgeshire.